On March 16th, 2020, the American Dental Association recommended that dentists provide only urgent or emergency treatment until further notice due the Covid-19 pandemic. On March 17th, nine bay area counties, including San Mateo, initiated shelter-in-place orders, which have subsequently been extended until May 31st. We look forward reopening to non-emergency patients as soon as warranted.
When you return to our office you will find that some of our usual protocols have changed
- When we schedule your appointment, we will provide you with necessary paperwork by email. We ask that you return requested information or signed documents by sending scans, pdfs, or jpegs by email. This will help us reduce viral transmission.
- A few weeks prior to your appointment, we will provide you a series of covid-19 screening questions prior to confirming your appointment.
- The day or two before your appointment, we will contact you again and repeat the screening with you.
- When you arrive for your appointment, we ask that you please wait in your vehicle or outside the building until we call you in. This is to assure that proper social distancing between patients and to allow us time to sanitize the operatories and front desk area before you enter.
- We ask that ONLY the patient or the patient with parent/guardian enter the office.
- When you enter, we ask that you wear a mask covering mouth and nose until time for you to see the dentist.
- Please sanitize you hands when entering the waiting area.
- We will repeat the covid-19 screening questions and check your temperature using a "touch-free" infrared thermometer.
Other steps we have taken to ensure your health and safety.
- When you enter the office, you will notice that the magazines have been taken away to remove them as a source of cross-contamination.
- Where the magazines once were, there is now a hand sanitizing station.
- On the right side of the office, we have added a high quality hepa-filtration air purifier to aid in removal of particulate matter from the front office area.
- You will also see that we have added plexiglass shielding on top of the counter and that the door between the waiting area and back office is closed.
- Our staff, will now wear masks and gloves at all times.
- Our back office has also received many additions to our already rigorous hygiene protocols.
- We have added hospital grade hepa-filters to our air conditioning intakes to reduce particulate matter cycling.
- All operatory surfaces, equipment, and chairs will be sanitized just prior to your visit. Additionally, when the operatories are not in use, we will further sterilize them with microbicidal UVC light.
- In the operatories, our staff will wear PPE, including face shields and N95 masks.
- We have made two important upgrades to the operatories. We have added the JADE SCA5000C medical grade air purifier, a multi-stage filtration system capturing air pollutants, filtering 99.998% of particles down to 0.1 microns (the typical size of a virus) with an additional internal UVC inactivation step. Additionally, at chair side, there is now use an extraoral suction system especially made to eliminate aerosols generated by dental procedures and to kill bacteria and viruses.
We have made these changes because we truly care about the health and well-being of our patients and staff.
Dr. Kehan Li